- HCAM News
- Absolutely Yoga
- All About Hopkinton
- Business Matters
- Dive In Drive In
- ESBC Update
- Government Meetings
- Great Gardens
- HCAM News
- HCAM-ED Specials
- HCAM-TV Specials
- Hiller Sports
- Hopkinton Coffee Break
- The HOP Seat
- Manager's Corner
- Meet Your Neighbor
- Physician Focus
- Piano Lessons with Betty
- Poetic Lines
- Senior View
- The Gathering
- Veterans Remember
- Wake Up & Smell the Poetry
- Women's Art Forum
- Live Stream
- Get Involved
- The HCAM Store
- Town Info
Hopkinton Planning Board Vacancy Announcement
On June 24, 2014 the Board of Selectmen publicly acknowledged the resignation of a member of the
Hopkinton Planning Board and are currently seeking candidates for this position.
Pursuant to Town Charter provision 3-1(e), a joint meeting, consisting of the remaining members of the
Hopkinton Planning Board and the members of the Board of Selectmen, will convene (tentatively) on
July 15th at a regularly scheduled Board of Selectmen meeting to appoint an individual to temporarily fill
this one seat until the next Annual Town Election in May of 2015.
The Hopkinton Planning Board is an elected nine member body established under Massachusetts
General Law, Chapter 41, Section 81A. Among its many diverse roles, the Planning Board is charged
with the following duties, which are contained in the Mass. General Laws and the Hopkinton Zoning and
1. Adopting a Master Plan for the Town. The current Master Plan was adopted in 2007.
2. Conducting studies, and, when necessary, preparing plans of the resources, possibilities and
needs of the Town for submittal to the Board of Selectmen for their consideration.
3. Serving as the local authority for the Subdivision Control Law; adopting Rules and Regulations
governing the subdivision of land in the Town of Hopkinton; reviewing all preliminary and
definitive plan submittals, and endorsing approval-not-required plans.
4. Drafting and submitting zoning amendments for consideration by the Town. When a zoning
amendment has been put forward by any entity, the Planning Board holds the public hearing
and also reports its recommendation to Town Meeting.
5. Serving, in some instances, as the Special Permit Granting Authority (SPGA). The Planning Board
is charged with issuing several Special Permits in the Hopkinton Zoning Bylaw including: Open
Space and Landscape Preservation Development; Garden Apartments in Residential Districts;
Senior Housing Developments; Flexible Community Development and at Legacy Farms.
6. Reviewing and proposing the acceptance of streets as Town public ways, with recommendation
to the Town Meeting.
7. Serving as Site Plan Review authority for non-residential Site Plans. For more information, see
Article XX of the Zoning Bylaw.
8. Issuing permits to remove trees and stone walls within street rights of way designated as
scenic roads by Town Meeting. The Planning Board also recommends roads for scenic road
designation. For more information about scenic roads, see Chapter 160 of the Bylaws of the
Town of Hopkinton.
9. Issuing permits for earth removal within the Town of Hopkinton . For more information, see
Chapter 96 of the Bylaws of the Town of Hopkinton.
10. Annually appoints the members of the Design Review Board.
Planning Board representatives also serve on the following other Boards and Committees: Open Space
Preservation Commission, Community Preservation Committee, Design Review Board, and Zoning
Interested parties should apply by the close of business, 4:30 PM, on Monday, July 7, 2014. Please
note, the Planning Board meets on Monday evenings and any candidate must be available to meet on
To apply, visit the Town’s website and apply through the online volunteer form here:
Residents may also apply by submitting a letter of interest to: Jamie Hellen, Operation’s Assistant to the
Town Manager’s Office, 18 Main Street, Hopkinton, MA 01748.
Interested parties may contact Elaine Lazarus, Director of Land Use, Planning and Permitting, at 508-
497-9745, with any questions regarding expectations or details about the position or the Planning Board