The Fire Chief & Director of Emergency Management, for all intents and purposes, and in accordance with MA General Laws, is a strong Chief and will serve as a member of the Town’s Executive Leadership Team. This is a highly visible position within the Hopkinton community. Exceptional entrepreneurial, strategic and operational leadership, strong collaboration internally and externally, as well as sound financial and human capital management skills are basic expectations. The Fire Chief/Director of Emergency Management will be a major contributor to the continued development of comprehensive fire and emergency services and programs. This position reports to the Town’s Board of Selectmen and operationally consults with the Town Manager.
Education & Experience:
• Equivalent of Bachelors Degree in Fire Science or Public Administration, Fire Academy graduate, and
• Ten (10) years of progressively responsible firefighting and emergency services experience with at least seven (7) years in an administrative or command officer capacity.
Training, Special Licensure/Certification:
• Valid Driver’s License
• EMT Certification
• Incident Command Systems – 400
• Executive Fire Officer Certification and Chief Fire Officer Preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Extensive knowledge of fire suppression and prevention and emergency medical principles and techniques.
• Knowledge of personnel management and budgeting procedures; promotional and hiring procedures and practices; operations of a municipal fire department; state and federal laws and regulations including emergency medical service procedures and practices.
• Extensive knowledge of building construction and fire prevention codes and standards including building design and construction plans review.
• Extensive knowledge of Fire Prevention and public education practices; fire investigation practices and procedures, including legal and court procedures and rules of evidence collection and scene preservation.
• Working knowledge of the use of computer hardware and software in a fire department setting.
• Ability to maintain effective working relationships with staff and the public as well as to communicate effectively in writing and verbally.
SALARY: Negotiable, depending on qualifications.
Internal/External Applicants: To be considered for this vacancy, please submit the required Application for Employment, found on www.hopkintonma.gov, to email@example.com no later than 5pm, Monday, February 1, 2016. While the preferred method of application is through e-mail or online, applications will also be accepted via walk-in or mail at: Town Hall, Human Resources Department, 18 Main Street, Hopkinton, MA 01748. The Town of Hopkinton is an equal opportunity employer.